Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I stand with you

As many of you know, I'm a very empathetic person. I've been crying all morning. Not for fear of my own safety, but for all of those who may be negatively affected by Trump's presidency. Before bed, I prayed for protection for this country specifically for people of color, the LGBTQ community, immigrants, and women, especially those who fall into multiple categories. I can only imagine the fear that many of you are facing. I will continue to pray for your protection and peace.

I also sat helpless wondering what now? What can I do? And I return once again to the idea of bringing change in my own sphere of influence. Today I started my class by reminding my students who are afraid, that I am here if they want to talk. I also encouraged my students who might not be carrying the same fear to be advocates and supports in their community.  I encouraged them to make their classes, dorm rooms and other spaces a place where everyone feels welcomed and accepted no matter their religion, race or gender, because we who can, need to stand up for and support those who can't.

In my conversation, some of my students expressed fear of deportation and the wall, but even more, people were afraid of the discourse that has been made acceptable because of this election season. My students have already lived through aggression and racial rhetoric at UCSD during this election season. Although they are strong, it has caused deep pain and they have had enough. I think this is another place we need to have a voice. Just because racism and sexism were used by our president-elect doesn't make them right. When we see, hear or encounter these discourses we must speak against them. We must speak up for those who feel voiceless or threatened and show people that as Americans, this is not who we are. 

Secretary Clinton said in her speech this morning that throughout her career she has faced many setbacks but keeps pushing on. She admonished us to keep fighting for what we believe, because we are the ones that can bring change. I do not yet know what this looks like practically (and I'd like to hear from friends more connected to advocacy and friends more affected than me what would really help). However, I think in the mean time, we need to have respectful conversations, create safe spaces for everyone through our actions and words, and seek peace while pursuing change. 

I think this is also a time to really live out our morals, especially when the government might be marginalizing those we care about. Those who are Christians, this is a chance for us to extend love to everyone, to feed the hungry and poor, to care for the widow. We should not rely on the government to do the work we've been asked to do. This is our chance to love our neighbor (no matter how different they are). We need to work hard to do good and bring change while being ministers of peace... which leads me to my final point.

One of the the great things about our democracy is a peaceful transition of power. Many of us are angry and hurt, but Trump has been chosen as our next president. Although it might be hard, we must allow this to transfer peacefully. It doesn't mean we have to stop fighting for what's important, but we do have to recognize and accept him as the next president. Those of you who are praying people, this is a chance to pray that Mr. Trump will have wisdom and clarity as a leader and pray that he will find ways to "make America great" by making it an America for ALL people. We can also pray for good advisers around him that will give him wisdom and that he will accept that with humility. And even more importantly, as I already said, we must continue to pray for each other in this time of transition and in the years ahead and as we pray, we must find ways to stand up and speak out for what is right. 

Although hash tags mean very little in bringing real change, I feel like we need a new one that shows solidarity for everyone. A hash tag that bridges racial and political divides, because reconciliation is what our country needs. Something like #imwithyou because we as a nation need to come together and stand together no matter our differences. We need to let marginalized communities know they are not alone in this journey.  We stand with them... #imwithyou



Sand Dollars By RDEH

No comments:

Post a Comment